This Party

12 April 2007

Barak Obama, Have a Heart, Forgive!

I no longer have any hope for Barak Obama. For a while I was ucnertain. He seems pretty good overall and I like the concept of a clean-cut and well-spoken black person running for president. Nothin wrong with that, but I wasn't quite informed enough to really have a strong opinion.

Apparently, and you can read about it here, he thinks Imus should be fired for his comments. I don't know where to start.

Referring to black women athletes as nappy-headed hos is definitely not an appropriate way to refer to them, which Imus has conceded and apologized profusely. He even went on Al Sharpton's radio show to beg forgiveness. The man is sorry. I don't think he's sorry because people are making a big deal about it so much as because he didn't realize people would take it SOOOOO damned offensively. Obviously, he's looking to piss people off and be shocking, but I don't think he intended it to be quite what it has become. Regardless, the man is sorry, he doesn't seem to be an actual racist, and he's apologizing out his rear. Cut the man some slack.

Obama said, "There's nobody on my staff who would still be working for me if they made a comment like that about anybody of any ethnic group. And I would hope that NBC ends up having that same attitude." What he fails to realize is that a candidate for President of the United States of America and a media company are very different entities. NBC has shock jocks like Don Imus; Sirius has Howard Stern now. Their job is to get people excited, to be controversial, and to piss people off. Politicians, esp presidential candidates, do the same thing, but they aren't supposed to piss anyone off. Obviously, presidential candidates would fire someone for making a remotely racist comment because they have to be all p.c. and pretend they really give a crap. They don't. And, if they did, they'd probably actually be forgiving if the person wasn't actual a racist but happened to make an off-coloured joke, assuming the weren't running for president and pretending to be something they aren't. I'm running on though endlessly, the point it that of course a presidential candidate would fire a staff member who made racist remarks, but a shock jock is kind of expected to be offensive now and again. Show some compassion and forgiveness.

On a second to last note, where are all the women's right activists? He called them "nappy-headed hos." Honestly, I think that if he called them a bunch of nappy-headed athletes, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal. I think people would have ignored it overall. Regardless of that fact, isn't referring to a bunch of college-educated women athletes as hos a wee bit sexist? Why isn't anyone jumping on this point? Of course, I would prefer people don't jump on either point and bitch themselves to death, but if you're gonna bitch, at least bitch proportionately.

My final note is that I don't even like Imus. I find him obnoxious, boring, and annoying. He screwed up and admitted it. Cut the man some slack. As for Barak Obama, I don't think I'll be voting for him....unless Santorum is somehow the oppossing candidate. Maybe Gingrich is gonna pull the liberal vote with her global warming spiel.

UPDATE: Imus has been fired by CBS.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • The local afternoon radio talk show host here in town got more racist than I can stand today (he's also a wife-beater, from what I hear); but I did learn that (a) Imus is going to Rutgers on Tuesday to meet face-to-face with the bball team; and (b) that Hillary Clinton, conveniently enough, will be speaking at Rutgers on Monday about "Women in Politics" or something like that. I can't wait for her to jump on the Imus-bashing bandwagon.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Apr 13, 02:08:00 AM GMT  

  • Yeah, I don't really like Imus, but I like how he's dealing with this. I've read a couple places how he's not bitching about how the media is covering this. He just says it wouldn't be happening if he didn't say something so stupid and it's his fault. He's taking responsibility for his actions, he's going to Rutgers to apologize in person, he went on the Al Sharpton radio show to apologize, and he's making real effort, yet a lot of people like Obama, Sharpton, Jackson, O'Reilly, and many others (Clinton soon too I imagine) are just being unChristian in their lack of forgiving. I want to see some religious leaders come out and point this out. That'd be nice. I'm so sick of mindless extremists and the fools who cater to them. Right now I feel much more inclined to vote for Kucinich in the primaries than Obama or Clinton...maybe Biden. Eh.....

    By Blogger John E., at Fri Apr 13, 05:42:00 AM GMT  

  • This is worth reading.

    At the bottom you'll find an update from Snoop Dogg that will make Al Sharpton happy-- frank and open discussion on what goes on the airwaves.

    By Blogger Nate, at Fri Apr 13, 04:58:00 PM GMT  

  • Oh, look, more.

    By Blogger Nate, at Fri Apr 13, 09:38:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home