This Party

06 November 2008

Eh

Sorry for my absence during such an historic election. I've been deathly ill and politics has only made it worse.

So, I guess the meaning of the word "change" will likely now be changed to "status quo." We shall see.

Regardless, I went into the polling place with my Nader pin on. Voted for an Independent, 2 Libertarians and a Democrat. One of the Democrats running for attorney or auditor general actually wanted to make it illegal to join a gang, which of course I thought was a wonderful idea since I don't much like Boy Scouts and think they should all be locked up. Anyway, though I'm no L/libertarian, they seemed to be the only candidates other than Nader who actually had anything real to say. How surprising!

Check out http://november5.org/. Some former Nader supporters have created it to try to hold Congress accountable. Maybe you'll agree with their issues, maybe not, but it's worth checking out.

1 Comments:

  • Sadly, John, I won't be joining.

    I can't agree with single payer health care unless it's people paying for their own health care, which could be made a lot cheaper in several ways. Force medical decisions to be based on widely accepted criteria by rewarding doctors with near-immunity from lawsuits when they do so. (This is different from lawsuit award caps which are a dumb idea.) Bring back the ban on direct marketing of drugs. Make insurance really be insurance, rather than a form of currency that is used as an excuse to allow every patient to waste hundreds or even thousands of dollars because they only see the co-pay (and for GPs to support such for the same reason).

    I like a living wage in principle, but I also know people who make more than enough but claim to need more only because they can't manage what they have ("What! What do you mean I don't need a new car every three years!"). I don't want to give those people more. If the government wants to feed and shelter people who can't afford it, I'm okay with that because that's all I see that people really need. But the government should give those people food and shelter, not money to buy food and shelter and definitely not the idea that their employers must give them as much money as they claim to need.

    I would go for less militaristic if it means quitting this neoconservative give-democracy-to-people crap. It would be great if the State Department would get all the money that he military gets for "diplomacy." But keep in mind that science could easily be a casualty of attempts to be less militaristic. In the popular mind science and technology are the same, and the government's main contributions to technology are in the defense industry.

    By Blogger Nate, at Thu Nov 06, 07:15:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home