This Party

22 April 2006

Pennsylvania Primary

I've been neglecting this blog, but according to the stats so has the readership, so meh.

Pennsylvania's primary elections are coming up sometime soon. I don't know when, though. I live within walking distance of my polling place, so at a time like this when there seem to be no close calls obviously predicted for the Republican races I just kind of hear about the primaries a day or two beforehand and then do some research to make sure I don't vote for anything completely idiotic when I interrupt a nice afternoon walk with a trip to the voting machine.

One thing I want to point out to all of you, at least in Pennsylvania, is that on the day of the primary there can be non-partisan ballot questions that you can vote on even if you are not registered for a party. If these questions are lower than the state level you might not even know they exist unless you call around or show up at the polling place to look at the sample ballot. In fact, these ballot questions can sometimes be timed rather sneakily so that, for example, a local schoolboard has up a ballot question that only republicans would approve during a primary that has a hot republican race rather than during the previous fall's general election.

I urge you to find out about any non-partisan things that might be on your ballot and to go vote on those, even if you are an independent or a rather uninvolved party member.

Right now it looks like a Rendell-Swann race and a Casey-Santorum race, plus state and some local stuff. I'm for Swann and Casey unless their opponents impress me. Put another way, I'm voting for the ones who have no plans to be President.

2 Comments:

  • I believe I saw an interview with Rendell a couple months back and he stated that he had no intention to run for president in 2008. I was surprised by this because they usually avoid answering such questions, but I believe he responded with an actual no.

    By Blogger John E., at Thu Apr 27, 02:41:00 PM GMT  

  • Put yet another way, I'm voting for the honest ones ;)

    By Blogger Nate, at Sat May 06, 05:07:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home