This Party

08 February 2008

Why Is James Dobson...

my poster boy for American Christian political stupidity? Let me count the ways! Oh, wait, time is finite. Let me give you just a few, then.

Background information-- what Dobson says about politics, most evangelical Christians take seriously. He, along with the late Jerry Falwell, are two of the major reasons why Christian kids my age think that good Christians are Republicans. That's all you need to know.

My current issues? This article has one or two. (And this might be a good reference.)

Dobson released a statement Tuesday that criticized McCain for his support of embryonic stem cell research, his opposition to a federal anti-gay marriage amendment and for his temper and use of foul language.

Okay, Mr. Dobson. Which current US president got caught using the s-word? Or had his little pal saying nasty things? Are you going to come around to me saying "That's unfair! He didn't do that before I wanted him to be President"? Or maybe your only trouble is that McCain dropped an f-bomb? He's not the first Republican to do such a thing, you know? Of course none of that matters. Why? Because if we can get the people who don't like the word "crap" for its filth to know that McCain says dirtier things, we can add shock factor to an otherwise decent (even though I don't agree with it) list. They aren't going to question the sensibility of making this assessment, but they will be distracted from what could be (even though I don't agree with them) genuine arguments about other things on the list. This is common among conservative evangelicals. Cue the global warming denial explanations that end with "It's all New Age anyway" and watch how they fall back on that last bit when you question any of their scientific points.

Tally 1--- Dobson is hypocritical, inconsistent, or both.
Tally 2--- Dobson puts the petty with the important.

Can we get another quote from that Yahoo article?

He said if McCain were the nominee, he would not cast a ballot for president for the first time in his life.

Dobson had left open the possibility that he would vote for either Romney or Huckabee, but endorsed neither.


Um, yeah.... Okay, I have some problems. First, what about this? And didn't the man himself write this (complete with its false dilemma)? Dobson told a whole lot of people that he'd go third party, but now he's backing out. What? He can't do what he said? Don't make promises you can't keep, brother. You didn't promise? Don't imply things you don't mean, brother. Second, what about Huckabee saying "Some people need to switch to decaf and realize, folks, we may not get all of our battles just like we want, but there's a larger context in which this has to be fought." Why would you even consider voting for someone who says something so... thoughtful? Because he says he respects gays or something? Dobson's zeal blinds him from reality. This time he's missing "Something is better than nothing." Next time it could be "America has changed in the past 200 years." People follow him anyway.

Tally 3--- Dobson pushes the bounds of honesty in Jesus' name.
Tally 4--- Dobson is willing to lead real sheeples into real shambles over unreal ideals.



Okay, I think I'll shut up now. Fat chance I'll ever see the day when Christian leaders in America can talk politics and not make me and their religion (or relationship, as some without dictionaries would prefer) look stupid by association. Jesus, please save us all.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Nate, you bring up some good points - as usual, but they are a bit harsh. First, my ferver for politics is not what it once was, nor was it ever 100% tied in with "my Christianity". Dobson and others like him are passionate about what they believe and are not afraid to say it openly - despite the obvious trip ups it may bring. But does that mean we should not be a light unto the nations? Don't even get me started about "luke warm" christians.

    Dobson's problem is not Dobson. It's the Christians who buy whole heartedly into what he is saying, and the media - which portrays Dobson as being the ONLY Christian involved in politics.

    Christianity and politics can coincide on a number of levels, but IMO the most stable of these is a foundation of morality and law. Keeping in mind the direction to "do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly" Christians in politics can make wise decisions and give good direction in legislature without turining everything into a sermon.

    As for younger generations buying into Dobson's line of thinking - I disagree completely. I have seen more and more young people leaning towards the independant thinking processes. I do not side with Dobson in all matters as I do not believe that it is possible to achieve 100% compatablility between Christianity and politics - at least not at this time - nor do I believe that a Christian Utopia on Earth is ever going to be a reality - save for the second comming of Christ and the few years of peace (according to Revelations). Until then, we make the best of what we have using our principles and beliefs to guide us.

    Frankly at this point, I am fed up with all the candidate choices - so I announce that I am running for president by write in. VOTE LPPROCONSERVE in 2008!! Nate, you can be the Secretary of Defence as we had previously planned. Everyone else, log in and let me know what positions you would like to be considered for!

    By Blogger ProLPconserve, at Fri Feb 08, 12:58:00 PM GMT  

  • Thoughtful in the face of my ranting, eh? Good choice :)

    I can't agree with Dobson not being the probelm, though. You're right that the people who buy what he says and the media are a problem the way you say. Dobson, however, chooses to ignore this and talk anyway. "I speak for myself, not my organization" is about taxes, and probably is not about how seriously he wants to be taken. If he could speak on behalf of his organization as well as for himself, he probably would. My thinking is that when someone's on a soapbox, the fault lies not only with the people who put the box there, or the ones who don't pull the box away, but also the person who's standing on it.

    As for younger generations, yes, I do agree with you, dispite my obtuse hyperbole in the post. Actually, I don't even know if it's fair to call it hyperbole, because what I said is not quite right. I should have said that what Dobson et al say is modeled to the younger people as correct, not that they buy it. By younger people, I mean everyone from our poorly defined age group down into the rather well defined generation curently in college and high school. We could argue for weeks over how geenrations are defined, I'm sure :)

    Also, I should note for the readers, I poke fun at evengelicals who I think are screwing up. In fact, I am an evagelical. I don't call myself a conservative one because people too often think that I mean conservative politics (which is so poorly defined that I don't want to be associated with it). My theology is quite conservative, however. My pastor would disagree, but he defines liberal as anything to his left, so he doesn't count. Back on topic, a lot of what I point to as the doing of evangelicals (such as the thing where they tag on useless distracters) is not only an evangelical thing. A lot of people make crazy arguments and use crazy rhetoric, often while complaining that others do the exact same thing. I talk about rhetoric among Christians because I am one, but that doens't mean I'm idemnifying or exonerating anyone else. I'm just ignoring everyone else.

    Okay, I've made enough sweeping generalizations, I fear. I'll stop getting myself into more trouble now!

    By Blogger Nate, at Fri Feb 08, 08:32:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home