This Party

30 April 2008

Ben Stein's Gone

In an attempt to put up a conservative of interest, I put up a link to Ben Stein's pages. I've removed it.

My trouble stems from an interview on a Christian TV network that covered, in part, the so-called movie Expelled. (Go to April 21 and find Ben.) I was going to let him get away with that one before I heard about the interview. At one point in the interview, Ben Stein says

When we just saw that man, I think it was Mr. Myers [a scientist interviewed in the "movie"], talking about how great scientists were, I was thinking to myself the last time any of my relatives saw scientists telling them what to do they were telling them to go to the showers to get gassed. ... Love of God and compassion and empathy leads you to a very glorious place, and science leads you to killing people.

This isn't about politics, it's about a complete lack of connection to reality. Minimally, I expect everyone but politicians to have one. If he were kidding about this, I would be amused... as long as everyone knew it was a joke. I can't see how this is a joke, and my sense of humor is as obtuse as the come.

I'll put Ben back up as a person of interest when he runs for a public office that deserves this crap.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

  • Actually, I said that wrong. The quote is from two points in the interview. When I added the second part, I used the ellipsis to show the separation, but I didn't update the "at one point." Oops. I'm leaving t he mistake because I'm a scientist and I also have some humility.

    By Blogger Nate, at Wed Apr 30, 05:36:00 AM GMT  

  • So, are you saying that science doesn't lead to killing people??? I think I may need to try to find a new profession. Politicians still kill people...or at least make many decisions which lead to the deaths of others, right?

    By Blogger John E., at Wed Apr 30, 11:14:00 AM GMT  

  • I'll vote for you if I ever can, not because I agree with everything you think but because I know I can strong-arm you into making me happy ;)

    By Blogger Nate, at Wed Apr 30, 04:53:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home