This Party

05 December 2006

NYC All Trans Phatty, but not for long!

My sister thinks smoking should be banned from restaurants, bars, etc. regardless of the employees whereas I think it should be banned only because of the employees. So, we spent some time arguing about it even though we both agreed the it was a good idea to ban smoking. At some point in our debate, I made the invalid point that if we ban smoking in restaurants just because it's unhealthy, then I guess we'll just have to ban McDonald's too...and all those other places that serve unhealthy food and trans fat and all that other bad stuff. Imagine my surpise to learn that New York City is banning trans fat! You can read more here.

2 Comments:

  • Dispite what American culture might say, "I know we agree but I have the right reasons and you don't" arguments are highly productive. They allow you to hash out what assumptions must be made to think which ways and whose reasoning can be more broadly applied. If politicians engaged in such debates they would probably actually do something worthwhile, that is until they were voted out of office for confusing everyone.

    By Blogger Nate, at Wed Dec 06, 06:18:00 AM GMT  

  • I agree. My sister isn't as fond of debating/arguing as I am and eventually I had to bring things back down by reminding her we both agreed on the issue, just not the reasons for agreeing.

    I really wish they'd have more stuff like this on CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, or anywhere on tv really where people debate real reasons and maybe even debate outcomes they agree on where they disagree on the fundamentals. Wish in one hand...

    By Blogger John E., at Wed Dec 06, 06:44:00 PM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home