This Party

05 February 2008

the ignorance of partisan politics: an anecdote

Before I left work this afternoon to go vote "libruhl" on the way home, several socially conservative Republicans (who may, with loathing in their hearts, grudgingly vote for a fiscally conservative Republican like McCain come November) let it be known that their Republican votes today canceled mine out.

Just so everyone's clear, Super Tuesday is a primary election to select candidates for [edit:the party nomination, who will then contest] the presidential election. And in Tennessee (like most states) you can't vote in both primaries (although you can vote in either, which to my mind is the way the whole country should be, so we don't force independents to re-register every other year if parties have shifted their convictions).

So I had to point out the obvious: "Unless you committed the unforgivable sin of voting Democratic, you did nothing of the sort."

3 Comments:

  • Wait- are you saying you voted for HILARY???

    I just don't know if we can communicate anymore. ;-)

    By Blogger Neb, at Tue Feb 05, 10:59:00 PM GMT  

  • All I'm going to say at this point is that I voted Democratic.

    If you hold me to my past statements, then I had to vote for Hillary.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Feb 05, 11:42:00 PM GMT  

  • I wish I could vote in whatever primary I wanted. I mean in my state (where laziness among those planning to run again for state offices trumps any arguments about effecting the story for leap years), not somewhere else.

    By Blogger Nate, at Wed Feb 06, 12:25:00 AM GMT  

Post a Comment

<< Home